Monday, April 16, 2012

datev, dilijan, ejmiatsin, the past three weekend excursions

Ok, so I've been procrastinating on writing another blog entry.  I've been busy with work for the physics institute, work for my job at Jefferson Lab in the states (especially with the software review coming up), my Armenian language lessons, US federal income taxes, my thesis, very informal French lessons with my friend Allegra, and of course facebook.  So, I'll tell a little about each of the excursions that happened these past few weekends:

three weekends ago:
We went to the castle monastery Datev, which is located next to the edge of a cliff.   I had been there once before (look through my blog history; i think it was on the way back from Karabagh last summer), but it was very foggy last time and I couldn't see the view of the valley below.  The world's longest tramway leads to Datev from the other side of the valley, but we didnt use it because it was out of order, so we just drove there via bus instead.  We stayed overnight at a village, where we cooked khorovats  (barbecue) and ate it with the locals for dinner.


the fortress monastery of Datev

khorovats (barbecue)

sheep on the side of a hill near the city of Goris,
which we visited on the way back from Datev.

A cave near Goris

two weekends ago:
We visited the city/town of Dilijan, saw a museum there, and went to a potters shop.  I made a mug there which I am later going to sinter using one of the furnaces at the lab.  We also stopped by a pond, where we rented paddle boats.  


my friends Natalie and Alex

i forgot the name of this monastery


Because  I messed up while using the wheel and made
a hole in the side of the mug, I continued the rest of it
free-form, and thus it looks more like a sculpture than
pottery.  





this past weekend:
We rode bikes from Yerevan to the city of Ejmiatsin, which is kind of like the equivalent in the Armenian church to the Vatican, and we visited three of the churches there.  (since I didnt have my camera with me, I'm unapologetically posting the ones from the time I did this same trip last summer)


the vestuble of St.  Gayane's church


a painting of St. Hripsime in the church named after her.

my friends who were on the ejmiatsin trip last summer.  None of them were on this trip last weekend.



Now back to work on other stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment