Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Gyumri and Marmashen

This blog entry is kind of late, but I will post the one about this weekend... later this week.

Last summer, I and a few other volunteers lived in the 58th district of the city of Gyumri.  Most of us have gone back home, to the US, Argentina, etc.  There were only 3 of us remaining of our Gyumri group who were still in Birthright two weekends ago, when we revisited this city two weekends ago.



a market area


Our friend Shoghik (who was the coordinator of Birthright in Gyumri last summer) joined us to help give us the tour.   We saw some of the familiar parts of the city, such as the Yot Verk (Seven Wounds) Church, Vardanants Hraparak, etc.  However, there were some places in Gyumri that I had never seen before this trip there. For instance, there is one park in Gyumri where they have two caged lions, a male and a female, living with barely any space to move around inside their cages.  A very unfortunate lifestyle for these creatures.   We decided to take matters into our own hands.  No, we didnt take a hack saw and cut open the cage to free them (although I had suggested it).  Instead, we pasted posters all over the wall around the park (the words on there translate to "Is this life that I'm living?  shameful!")


inside the church of the Seven Wounds (Yot Verk)

Is this life that I'm living?  

one of the lions


After lunch we went to the nearby Marmashen monastery, and relaxed by the frozen-over river just past the monastery.  As is usual on birthright excursions, we threw snowballs at one another.   I also threw some large rocks into the river to see if they would break the ice.  The ice didn't crack, but, Asqanaz, one of our coordinators told me I shouldn't attempt to walk across because he still didn't think it would be safe for me to do so.


part of the ruins at Marmashen

the remaining church at Marmashen

the river (covered in ice and snow)


Even though there were three of us on the excursion who were in last summer's "Gyumretsi group", I was the only one who stayed behind to visit my former host family from last summer in the 58th district.  It was nice to see them again.  I also visited some of my former coworkers at GITC where I had been assigned a volunteer position last summer.  A careful reader who has read my blog entries from last summer will note my careful choice of words in the previous sentence.

On sunday morning,  I attended the church service at the church, and then headed towards the bus station, and then walked the rest of the way.  As much as it felt happy to be  "home" as I walked around Gyumri, the way towards the bus station to leave the town felt sorrowful as I passed through the market area where many things were sold:  fresh fruits and vegetables, souvenirs some appliances, a few bikes built for children, etc.  Finally, I reached the bus station and took the bus to Yerevan.  Don't get me wrong.  Yerevan is a nice city, but it doesn't feel like home to me like Gyumri does.  





The sun setting at the end of the 58th district.



Oh, and on another note, some of you might be wondering about my changed relationship status on facebook.  I had first met my now-girlfriend Kiana while I was back in the US, 4 months ago, which was only two months before I left for Armenia.  Prior to my departure, she and I had talked about the idea of dating, but I told her I'd rather wait until I get back to the states (partly because I didn't want to start off the relationship long distance and 9 time zones away from one another).  We have kept up with one another, talking to each other on skype twice every week, and it became apparent to me that a long distance relationship wouldn't be nearly as bad as I had imagined it would be.  A month ago, I mentioned this to her, and she said she wasn't ready to decide.  About a week ago, she and I were talking again, and she said, if she didn't take me up on my offer now, she would regret it later, and so we decided together that to make it official and public on facebook.  It will still be 2 months till I see her in person though.

No comments:

Post a Comment