Monday, February 20, 2012

tour of the orphanage, etc.

in 1999, my aunt Pam and my uncle Charlie went to Armenia to adopt two twin girls who were only a few months old, named Karineh and Narineh, from an orphanage just outside of Yerevan.  Since they didnt know much Armenian, they got some help with their translations from a lady named Siranoush who worked for the adoption agency.  They have kept in contact with her since then.
.  
Now skip over to the present:  2012.  When I told my aunt and uncle that I was going to Armenia and staying in Yerevan, they told me that they wanted me to meet up with their friend Siranoush, and give her a gift.

This past sunday I met up with her, and she gave me a tour of the orphanage where my cousins were adopted from.  She told me that a lot had changed there since they were adopted.  (I took a few pictures that I will post on facebook at a later point in time.)  This particular orphanage was meant for kids 0-5 years old; once a child is above 5 years of age, he/she is moved to another orphanage elsewhere in Armenia.  Afterwards, we met up with her 15 year old son, Andranik, and the three of us went to dinner at The Club. I ordered a type of soup called manti, which contains small pieces of meat wrapped in dough.

Later on that evening, I went with some of my friends to a concert where my friend Alin from Argentina was singing and playing songs on the guitar in Spanish, Armenian and English.  I invited Siranoush and Andranik to come to the concert, but they wouldnt let Andranik come because he's only 15 years old and the concert was at a bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment