Tuesday, February 28, 2012

at last, an excursion out of the city

Since I arrived in Yerevan, I hadn't left the city until this past weekend.  Mainly because the excursions had been cancelled two weekends in a row.  Even though it cost me about the equivalent of 10$ to go to three places I had been to thrice before (Khor Virap, where St. Gregory had been imprisoned (I'm not writing Gregory's story again, read my previous posts from last summer) ; Noravank "the monastery with the stairs"; and Areni village which is famous for its wine and for a cave wherein was found the oldest shoe ever discovered), I still considered it worth it to go on the excursion.  I had never seen the hills of Armenian country side so covered with snow.  Our friend Achod, who was staying in Karabagh, joined us for the excursion.  Throughout the excursion, we all threw snowballs at one another.

On Sunday night, I was invited to my boss Suren's house for dinner, and I met his family.  His son-in-law, Mikayel, I already knew, since he also worked with us at the lab.  I also met Suren's daughter, Anahid (who is married to Mikayel), his son Gevork, his grandson who is also named Gevork, his mother, his wife, and his son's girlfriend Armineh.  Hopefully I got the geneology all correct.  The older Gevork, Anahid, Armineh and I were all playing songs on the guitar together, jamming out to "knocking on heaven's door" and other songs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment