Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Odzun, Kobayr, etc.


Since last post:

Wednesday:
(after posting my previous entry) We had a forum about the architecture in Gyumri.  We have a forum every wednesday, but I haven't mentioned the previous ones in this blog because they weren't very noteworthy.  Week 1:  human rights issues.  basically, the point is that laws protecting human rights aren't very well enforced here in Armenia.  Week 2:  crazy long-winded soviet-nostalgic feminist lady tells about how much better it was back in Soviet times, and only rarely stops talking in Armenian to allow Shoghik to translate for her.  Now, for week 3, we learn about something much more exciting: Architecture.  This time, we didn't need any translator, since the woman who was lecturing us is an American and speaks perfect English.  She showed us pictures of architecture and gave us physics-based reasons for why people built things the way they did.  Also, she talked about how poorly built the soviet buildings were (most of which fell down in the '88 earthquake).  She explained why it's actually a good thing that the ugly bank in the central square exists; because it makes people aware of how much better the other buildings are.

Saturday:
Excursion.  First we visited the Odzun monastery, which is located inside of a village.  I had already been there, with LCO.  Then afterwards, we went down to our second location called Kobayr.  In this location, we climbed down a cliff into a valley to reach the ruins of a small monastery, which was built into the side of the cliff.  The monks who worked there lived in cave-houses.  Actually, from an architectural standpoint, this is a very useful trick for what my professor, Dr. Siochi, would refer to as appropriate laziness.  Why build 4 walls, when you only have to make one wall around the opening of the cave, and then install a door?  Then, we climbed down even further into the river valley.  At the bottom of the valley is Deveri Get, the "river of the dragons" (this river is so called because the river is shaped like a dragon.

Sunday:
This time, I made sure to bring my liturgy book to the church service.  Last week, i didn't go to the service because I was with my host family in their parents village, and the previous week, I was in Yerevan.  So, halfway through the service I was able to find where in the liturgy book we were at, and after the service, I went with a few of my BR friends to visit a museum, and then to another monastery.
At the main exhibit of the museum were maps of historic Gyumri, as well as everyday items traditionally found in households in Gyumri.  In another exhibit were sculptures of heads of deceased people.  Some person whose name I do not remember carved sculptures of heads of people after they die, and this exhibit shows these sculptures.  The eyes are closed, and they appear to have a solemn dead expression on their faces.

Monday and Tuesday:
I'm still awaiting being transferred by Birthright to another volunteer position, other than GITC.  I had talked to Shoghik on Thursday about my problem with there being no work for me to do there, and she said she would try to transfer me elsewhere if they cannot find any work for me to do there.

No comments:

Post a Comment